Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 3-4...Visiting the Homeland

So if you thought the last post was long, sit down for this one ;)

So yesterday, Monday, I had breakfast again (as I probably will every day that I stay at the Ignacio's) with Lola and Tita and Ernie, who is Tita Merch's cousin and the family driver. I got to call Cameron and both parents which was very cool and then went to Rosary and Mass at the Chapel next door with Lola.

Honestly, (sorry Uncle Pat) I don't remember the last time that I've prayed the rosary so hard. I was kind of like meditating in the repetitive prayer and just asking Mary to intercede for some more guidance for me. For all the non-Catholics, I'm just gonna throw in that I pray to Mary to intercede, just as you all are interceding for me :) Anyway, then there was Mass and the Homily definitely spoke to my heart. The priest was talking about not living an empty religious life, but to actually LIVE out your faith, in whatever way God gifted you to live it out.

I am learning more about Lola (Merch's mom) which means Grandma in Tagalog, and she is a great example of someone who lives out her faith. Her whole life is devoted to the Lord by helping serve in her congregation. At St. Stephen's in Valley Center, I would say she is the ultimate steward ha. Years ago, she pushed in her community and felt God was telling her to build a new church in their neighborhood of Loyola Heights. She started painting out of melted recycled crayons and a eye shaped cut out aluminum can as her brush. She paints mostly flowers which have a very Realist feel. She raised enough money on her own to start building the church and has since become a very well known elder in her town. Since I have been here, she has had lunch with different priests, nuns and other high status Filipinos, who come to her for advice.

I guess I am telling you all this because this woman is so inspiring to me. She has dedicated her whole life to the Lord, in her own specific way. It stands out to me because I am searching for MY way to serve him. What is YOUR way?

____________________________________

After mass, I went to Greenhills with Ernie, which is an even HUGER mall than the first and bought my first pair of freshwater pearl earrings for only 150 pesos which is about $5.00!!! WHAT?! Ha, I also learned that Filipino men aren't as fun to shop with as my bartering Tita Merch haha...

On the way back, stuck in traffic of course, I got to talk to Ernie. God seemed to bring himself up in conversation and Ernie started talking about his walk with the Lord. Long story short, he was cradle Catholic, but not until he mete his bride did he really get to personally know and love God. His wife Veron was diagnosed with Lupos, cancer of the liver, and told that she was going to die. Her wish was to marry and so Ernie asked her hand in marriage. All of their family and friends prayed and prayed and now, after many years, Veron and Ernie have 3 daughters, all in college and Veron dedicated her life to being a Catechist at the local Elementary school. Because her cancer is coming back, she must quit her job and have more rest. Love and prayers for Veron's health, but many thanks and praise to the Lord who answers prayers and sustains life.

_____________________
Then last night, I got the chance to accompany Merch to an exclusive Art Exhibit in Makati (the La Jolla or Banker Hill of Manila) of her dear friend Mrs. Dans. She is being considered to be a Philippine National Artist, which is the highest honor an artist can receive as a Filipino. Needless to say, she is a VERY talented woman. If you have seen Eat Pray Love, like Julia Roberts marveled at the beauty of Rome, I got to marvel at some of the most beautiful artwork I have ever seen. Mrs. Dans is a precious little Filipina Realist who uses many different mediums, but my favorite was her watercolor of calado, which is a hand embroidered lace handkerchief. Google Araceli Limcaco Dans and check out her art :)

________________________________

Today I woke up by a knock on my door and Merch told me I had a visitor! My friend Richard from the plane over here surprised me and came to take me to Subic Bay, as I had told him I was born there. He was so sweet to drive me a whole 2 hours up to Subic, but it was kind of a weird deal since the Ignacio family doesn't know him. Tita was very protective, and gave him an interrogation, which reminded me of something a Father would do to a boy taking his daughter on a date. Tita was very classy about it, and I am so grateful for her care. Lola was the one who was still skeptical haha...anyway, I headed off with Richard and we ate at my first abroad Starbucks! Let me tell you, it was exactly the same except they have even MORE pastries! Delicious and much needed caffeine boost.

We got talking about everything as we drove past the most beautiful Kelly green rice fields and little NepaEy-reen?" (ha) "Do you believe in fate?" In the the back of my mind, I kind of dreaded what was coming, because our easy friendship seemed too good to be true. I said yes, I believe that God has a plan for us already...? and here was what he said:

"I really think that it was God's fate that brought us together. You know, this is the first time being back home since me and my ex broke up, and so if I wasn't with you, I would be sitting at home doing nothing. When I found out you were doing missionary work on the plane, I thought, wow, I want to spend my time doing something good like that. Sunday, when you called, I was so excited. My mom said it was the first time she saw me smile since i had been back. (I think he is sad being back and not with his gf) I am so excited to hang out with you and go help people who need it." (Hope I got all that right Richard haha)

Behind my aviator glasses were tears welling up. I was so flattered and so thankful that God made us cross paths. No matter what Lola says, ha, I know that Richard and I have many future adventures to come. The Lord definitely put us in each other's lives for a reason and I am very excited to see what that is.

On to Beautiful Subic Bay, I was SO excited to see the sign for it, I could not believe I was there. I had always thought about what it was like, and Mom and Dad- you guys did not do it justice! Ha, you guys, it is so green, so luscious, so clean and has so much richness. We drove past the airport that my Dad probably did a thousand landings and take-offs, and after asking several times for directions, we found my old house in Bayani village off of Mango Dr. Honestly, I wasn't sure exactly which one was my parents, but Richard and I took enough pictures to ensure we got it ha. We just sat at the bus stop at the top of the street and soaked in the little history that I had there. It was such an awesome feeling- like an overwhelming presence, and a marveling, retrospective aspect of God's creation. (That was a jumble of words ha but that's the best I can do) It was a beautiful moment for little Erin Murphy the Filipina :)

We then drove up to Cubi which is a little hill above the actual bay and had lunch and got fat and walked down to where we thought the Cubi "O" club was. (Dad, I think they must've either torn it down or built over it) We did find the exact viewpoint that my Dad described which was also breathtaking. rich green surrounding that blue bay, and I could only imagine the memories my parents had had there. Then Lola called all worried so we had to head back to get back "before dark" ha. Needless to say, it was only 3:30 but too late because it took almost 5 HOURS to get home!!! Worst part of Manila is the traffic and careless Jeepney drivers. We finally got home and everyone was relieved, except Richard who felt so horrible for getting me home so late, even though there was nothing we could do about it. Lola and Tita still love you Richard! :)

______________________________

So! There are my past two days! I guess what I learned, or "got out of it" was the intricate stories that God has woven through these wonderful people. He really does write straight with crooked lines, Ellen :) and Uncle Brian- I have seen Jesus in almost EVERYONES eyes that I've come in contact with!! ha, I am in tears right now, just thinking about how amazing God works, in SO many different ways. It is just up to us to accept Him and accept his will upon us. He us just so obviously present here, His spirit overwhelms me. I am so so thankful to be here- I feel like the Grinch, my heart is growing so big and full, its about to pop out of me!

You guys, this is just so beautiful. I can't even tell you how He is moving me, and those around me. I am so in love with Him and all He has created.

______________________

My awesome Father-
You have created such a handsome and detailed universe, your Glory shines through all living things. I can only imagine what heaven must be like since there are earthly things so beautiful that I could just stare and marvel for hours. Thank you so much for these wonderful people you have put in my life.


Lord I ask your blessings for Lola Remy Ignacio. She is a true handmaiden of the Lord and I thank you for her as an example of stewardship. For Ernie and Veron, that Veron will fufill your will for her here on earth, and to be with her family in good times and bad. For Araceli Limcaco Dans, that she continues to glorify you with her talents in the rest of her years. For my new friend Richard, that you light his path and guide him closer to you. Flood his heart with your spirit, as you have mine, and help me to be his a good sister in Christ. For my wonderful Tita Merch, that you may bless her for her never-ending generosity and love. For everyone back home that is reading this, that you may speak to them in whatever way they need to hear. 


Lord you are the Holiest of holies and the Almighty Father of all. I praise you so hard and with all my might for your love and mercy. I am so grateful for everything in this life. I ask you to be further present in me and guide me on my trip to Malibay to be with the Sisters tomorrow. I love you. 
Amen.

No comments: