Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 1!! March 5, 2011 6:30PM

I cannot believe I am sitting at a computer on the opposite side of the world from all you. This has been the most exciting, and absolutely longest day of my life- in a good way :)

I got to Manila at 4 AM after a 14 hour flight, and took a crazy drive to the house where I am staying, which is in Quezon City. The wonderful woman I am staying with is Merch who has generously opened her home to me. She lived in San Fransisco for 28 years, so her English is flawless but also knows the ins and outs of the Philippines. God seriously placed me into the perfect hands for my young and naive heart.

I'm telling you right now, I am going to come back with a little extra LBs because they eat 5x a day! The food is delicious, and I get to have Japanese food tonight after church at 7.

Merch took me around Quezon City to a little outside mall called Tiendalitas (I think) that had tons of antiques and then a whole clothing section that was kind of like the garment district in LA. Then we drove- which is crazy because no one follows driving rules here- south towards Makati. On the way we stopped at a HUGE mall, which is seriously 10x the size of our dainty North County Fair. Then there was Makati, the La Jolla of the Philippines, so gorgeous and wealthy, and so ironic only blocks away from the poorer villages of "squatters". It breaks my heart to see thousands of people living in tin, cardboard and cement blocks. At the same time, it is so uplifting to drive by and see them with a huge smile and a wave.

Besides a little staring at the white girl, everyone has been so kind and has a generous amount of hospitality. I will be meeting some nuns and priests tonight who can help me figure out a plan for my stay here as far as missionary work goes. As of right now, I am completely at peace with reading the Word and journaling my rapid thoughts since being in this beautiful creation of a country. Just me and God.

Thank you Lord for this amazing opportunity. It is only my first day, and I am already anxious to be your tool. Use me, I beg You, for whatever your will may be. Prepare the hearts of those that I will soon encounter, and send your spirit to guide my tongue to use the perfect words. Help me to help my Filipino brothers and sisters, in whatever way- only You know theirs hearts Lord. I praise you with all my being for creating this artistic and gorgeous place. Amen.

4 comments:

The Nielsen's said...

HI Erin,

I am praying for you! thanks for sharing. I know God will use you and he will changed your heart in an amazing way. Love you!

Michelle said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you today, and throughout your inspiring mission trip. Love and miss you girl-keep the updates coming!

Heather said...

awesome woman! SO excited you're in good hands. Your older sis was a lil worried after you said you were flying out there yourself. No worries about the LBS. I'm putting a few on myself for you ;-) xoxo - H

Meggan Lambesis said...

Glad you made it safe and sound! So excited to see what's ahead. Praying. Love ya!


p.s. can you post pictures?